I love collecting jerseys, especially ones with my name on them :P And so yesterday, when my sister told me Elli was selling World Cup jerseys for 25 bucks, I immediately said, "Nak!! Nak!!" lol. But when she asked me for which team, I was a bit confused. Truthfully speaking, I'm no die-heart soccer fan.. As a matter of fact, I barely know the players! Lol.. But I do enjoy watching the game, any sports game, even golf regardless of how I find it such a bore haha. But i went with Brazil anyway, coz green and yellow is such a unique colour combination to have on a jersey! :Db Pathetic, i know, but it didn't hit me so bad until I talked to Aidzat that night.
Me: Hey, your sister is selling world cup jerseys for 25 bucks!
Him: Oh yea, are you buying a pair?
Me: Yup! A pair of Brazil's! lol
Him: Hah! Do you even know who plays for Brazil??
Me: I have an idea of one or two players lol, but biarla. I love the green and yellow combination hehe
Him: My goodness, u ni. Konon nak beli Brazil but tak tau the players. Name me one of their defenders?
Me: I don't know
Him: Fine, an easier one. Their striker?
Me: Ronald something??
Him: Hahahaha u're such a poser. Their coach?
Me: I don't know. Now you've just made me feel very stupid.
Him: You know, I feel stupid all the time. Which makes me wanna read more. So, you should read more.. Okay?
Hahahahahahahaha! I felt like the stupidest person on Earth at that very moment.. And truthfully, with him, I always feel stupid and timid, coz he knows sooo maaany things!! (And if this post is meant to be all mushy, here's the part where i'd say, I'm grateful he's that way :) But this post ain't suppose to be mushy, so lets move along ahhaha :P ) And so, this very evening, I've decided to do some reading on the Brazilian national team and would like to share it with all of you! haha It's also for me so that i won't forget :)
- During the early days, they were far from how they are now, and its mostly due to a complication with the association between states that they couldn't really get good players.
- They've hosted the world cup once in 1950, the first international tournament after the world war II, and they managed to get 2nd place. They'll be hosting again for the next world cup in 2014.
- 1966 was one of their worst world cup performances, securing at 11th place.
- They're the only team to make the world cup every single time, and they've won 5 world cups (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002). They didn't do pretty well in the previous world cup, ending up 5th, due to the lack of performance by what the coach called, the "Magic Square" which includes Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, and Adriano, after got beaten by France with 1-0. Ronaldo was not in good shape at that time as well, and the whole team only made one attempt against France's goalkeeper, Fabien. Still, it ranks first by FIFA and ELO ratings
- Their present coach, Dunga, is a 1994 world cup champion, replacing Perreira.
- Brazil ranks 1st in the World Cup 2010 qualification standings with 34 points
- No 'Ronald's will be playing this year. No Ronaldo! No Ronaldinho lol. No Adriano either.
- The 23-men squad for the 2010 World Cup has been unveiled to be as shown bellow:
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (Roma), Heurelho Gomes (Tottenham)
Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (Roma), Luisao (Roma), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Michel Bastos (Lyon)
Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Josue (Wolfsburg), Elano (Galatasaray), Ramires (Benfica), Kleberson (Flamengo), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma)
Forwards: Robinho (Santos/Manchester City), Nilmar (Villarreal), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Grafite (Wolfsburg).- Brazil has been drawn into group G, which many takes as the Group of Death, with Portugal, Ivory Coast, and Korea DPR
- First match would be on the 15th of June, against Korea DPR
And thats about it, lol. Im not sure how the players really play, I shall find out soon after watching their games in the world cup.
who's team are YOU with???